Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2024 06:57:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Discarding inbound ICMP REDIRECT by default

> On Wed, 12 Jun 2024 at 18:05, Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:
> >
> > As Rodeney already effectively explains; dropping packets makes routing,
> > and discovery exceedingly difficult. Which is NOT what the average user
> > wants,
>
> This is on end hosts only, not routers (which already drop ICMP REDIRECT).

Probably a mistake, see other email.

> > or expects. I use "set block-policy drop" in pf(4). But as already noted,
> > this is for "filtering" purposes. Your suggestion also has the negative
> > affect
> > of hanging remote ports. Which can result in other negative results by peers.
>
> I don't follow -- how does a host not processing ICMP REDIRECT cause
> these effects?

I am not sure that it would "hang" the port, but by ignoring the
rediect your going to place additional burden on the router that
is trying  to redirect you as all packets would have to be forwarded
by that router.  I suppose it could hang you if infact the router
sent the redirect but did not forward the packet for you expecting
that a retransmission with your updated routing table due to the
redirect would get the flow going.