Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 2008 11:48:20 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        kenp_89@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internet connection errors on 7.0-STABLE

Ken Peck wrote:
> Hello, fellow FreeBSD'ers, I just yesterday did a source upgrade from
> 6.3-STABLE to 7.0-STABLE, but am now having problems getting back online.
>
> I am certain this is kernel-related, as I have Internet access through a
> backup copy of my 6.3 kernel, and all my other computers work fine as well.

> nfe0: <NVIDIA nForce 430 MCP13 Networking Adapter> port 0xc800-0xc807 mem 0xfe02
> b000-0xfe02bfff irq 22 at device 20.0 on pci0
> miibus0: <MII bus> on nfe0
> e1000phy0: <Marvell 88E1116 Gigabit PHY> PHY 1 on miibus0
> e1000phy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseTX-FDX, auto
> nfe0: Ethernet address: 00:1b:fc:93:da:00
> nfe0: [FILTER]

Hmmm... This is the only network adapter I can see in your boot
messages.  Which is odd, because the nfe(4) device was first supported
in 7.0 -- were you using ethernet on the machine with 6.3 at all?
Did you patch the 6.3 kernel or use a separate NIC card if so?

If that hasn't caused a light to dawn, could you send the output
from

    pciconf -lv
    ifconfig -a   (obfuscate the IP numbers if you really must)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW