Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 16:38:21 -0800
From:      August Pasimio <augusto.pasimio@lmco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Ramdisk

Hi, guys -

    I am designing a system that consists of a laptop (Pentium 166Mhz),
VME chassis, label printer, and an EEPROM Programmer.  We are using
FreeBSD as the OS on the laptop.  The laptop will be controlling the
cards in the VME chassis, the printer, and the EEPROM Programmer.  We
have 64 MBytes RAM on the laptop.
    One of the requirements for this system is for it to run without a
hard disk.  This is for security reasons.  I am considering setting up a
ramdisk of 32 MBytes.  I plan to create a new file system into the
ramdisk.  Then somehow copy the / partition into the ramdisk.  I
will also make a mount point for the usr partition.
    Our application code will reside on the CD.  The CD will be mounted
on to the /usr mount point.

My questions:

* What will happen when the OS tries to do memory swapping and it does
not find a hard disk?

* Is there a way to tell the OS not to do any memory swapping?

* How do set up the ramdisk?

* How do I copy files from the CD to the ramdisk?

* Is this a do-able design?  If not, do you have any suggestions on how
I can satisfy the "diskless" requirement?

Thanks,
August Pasimio
email: augusto.pasimio@lmco.com