Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 1997 19:50:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named concerns

--tcpsmtp4227ab9063ab39741ab

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997 ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net wrote:
> I should explain that I am including my db.domain file, not to take up
> bandwidth and list space, but I could really use a pointer or two.  I am

Good thing you included it.  More people should when asking questions
like this :)

There are two obvious errors plus some wierd formatting that may have
come from your mailer.

Both errors are in the SOA record.  First, you are missing the contact
mailing address, ginven a contact of hostmaster you want the start
of the SOA to read

dcoisp.net. IN SOA mail.dcoisp.net. hostmaster.mail.dcoisp.net. (

The mail contact plus that trailing left paren need to be added.
The left paren starts the serial number, refresh etc.. section
and are required for the record to span more than one line.

Your complete SOA should look like

dcoisp.net. IN SOA mail.dcoisp.net. hostmaster.mail.dcoisp.net. (
	1
	10800
	3600
	604800
	86400 )

Don't forget the closing paren after the minimum TTL :)

You should also think about changing your serial number to
YYYYMMDDXX format where the XX is replaced by a 2 digit serial
number (leading 0 for 1-9).  Forgetting to change the serial
number is a common mistake and easier to catch if you use
this numbering technique.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com

--tcpsmtp4227ab9063ab39741ab--