Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:15:32 -0500
From:      Andre Chang <andre@arkaine.com>
To:        "'Archie Cobbs'" <archie@whistle.com>, jeff@nerdpower.com
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ipfw and the GRE protocol

Hi,

Was there any resolution to this issue? I was following the thread and setup
a similar test enviroment using ipfw/natd using rules:

$fwcmd add pass tcp from any to 192.168.10.10 1723 via fxp0
$fwcmd add pass log gre from any to any

(where 192.168.10.10 is the internal NT mahcine)

It seems that there is initial connectivity but when the client starts
passing the gre packets, the ipfw/natd machine accepts and logs them but
dosent pass them to the internal NT machine. The client times out with the
error "The computer you are dialing dosent respond to a network request.."
and the server logs an "authentication timeout".

I've tried a static natd ip address with the same results. I 'm thinking
that if the FreeBSD machine is setup with bridge/ipfw instead of ipfw/natd
the gre packets would reach their final destination? maybe this is a better
firewalling configuration? .. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

 -- Andre.