Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:30:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Matthew Sharlot <matthew@federal.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!!

OK, I'll take a shot.

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Matthew Sharlot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a really bad day. Could someone please help me?
> I am a complete network dummy, so explainations of any actions I should
> take would be of great help for helping me in the future.

We all have "days", and I don't know a _lot_ about networking, but...

> The Problem.
>
> I have after several hours of swearing managed to establish a PPP
> connection to my ISP via my modem. I cannot however get out on to the
> internet. I'm trying to use Mosaic as it came on the installation CD and
> getting nowhere. I'm pretty sure that my problem lies with routing. I've
> messed around with /etc/rc.conf but I'm not sure what I should be
> putting in.

My config file has an entry:

	defaultrouter="205.238.128.1"

This is the primary number at my ISP. I got it from the setup docs
that came with the windoze install disk they gave me.

> The setup I currently have in win95 is server assigned IP addresses and
> a primary DNS of 194.164.41.7 and a secondary DNS of 194.164.41.12
> Not ever having been connected to any other networks I don't have an IP
> address of my own that I can use for my end of the link (come to think
> about it I don't even know if I should have one or not).

You don't mention an /etc/resolv.conf file. Mine looks like:

  nameserver	        205.238.128.39  ns.realtime.net
  nameserver	        205.238.128.42  ns2.realtime.net

These are the primary and secondary nameservers at my ISP. I'm assuming
you can make a ppp connection OK. If the /etc/resolv.conf does not exist,
then create one with your favorite text editor. The format is:

nameserver<whitespace>IP_number<whitespace>alias

Read also the man page for resolv.conf. And, refer to Brian Somers'
docs on user ppp at www.awfulhack.org. *Very* helpful.

> Anyway I'm in dire straits and could really use some help. I'm just
> hoping that the help anyone can give me will help me understand things a
> bit better, as I'm going to be really stuffed when I get my 64k line in,
> if I can't figure out networking basics.
> Thanks in advance
>
> Matthew Sharlot

If I were you, I would also contact your ISP. Mine was very helpful
and the Unix gurus would come out of the back to answer questions
when I first started.

You will get it, just keep on truckin'!

John