Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:13:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   APC BackUPS

I've tried everything, and nothing will work right.

Ok, let me elaborate a bit. :)

I have an APC BackUPS 600.  Not the SmartUPS or BackUPS Pro, just plain
BackUPS.  I have both the "simple" and "smart" signalling cables from
APC.  I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE.  I'm looking for a UPS daemon that
will control the UPS and make it do what I want it to do, which is to
perform a graceful shutdown in the event of a power failure.

So far, I've tried upsd and bkpupsd, each with the smart and simple cable
(4 total combinations).  upsd only supports the SmartUPS, and not the
BackUPS.  When I tried it with the simple signalling cable, as soon as I
pushed the Test switch on the UPS, the UPS immediately cut power and
emitted a very long beeeeeeeeeeeeep (which it does if it senses a problem
with the serial hookup).  Note that the UPS's battery works fine if I just
hit the test button with no cable hooked up.  Then I tried the smart
signalling cable, which didn't cut power immediately, but did after about
10 seconds of being on battery.

Next I tried bkpupsd.  This program's documentation says it only supports
the BackUPS Pro, but I thought maybe it'd support the regular ol' BackUPS,
too.  Wrong!  With the simple signalling cable, absolutely nothing
happened whatsoever.  I held the test switch down for over a minute to
give it enough time to react, but it didn't do anything.  Then I tried it
with the smart signalling cable.  About 10 seconds after I had the cable
plugged in and launched the daemon, the daemon suddenly said "Auxiliary
power is failing, emergency reboot" and rebooted the system on me (at
least it was graceful that time), before I ever even got a chance to press
the Test button on the UPS.

Obviously, the combination I have isn't gonna work.  Does anyone know of a
software/cable combination that will work with FreeBSD and the BackUPS, or
do I need to break down and go buy a SmartUPS so I can use upsd?  That
would be kinda bad, since I actually have 2 systems, both with a BackUPS
600, that need to be supported, so it'd be twice the money.  But hey, if I
have to, I will.  :)

Thanks in advance,
Bryce