Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 20:12:27 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Kenneth R. Westerback" <krw@tcn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7 Installation Comments/Problems

> On the screen for Basic X configuration the text at the
> top of the list recommends "..., xicf, xdcf ..." for a minimal
> configuration but I fail to see these two choices on the list.

Thanks, this was a documentation oversight (these dists are gone now
in 3.2).  Fixed.

> Why can't I set up my 3C509 at this point? i.e. cycle through interface
> definitions till I'm done?

Erm.  Stylistic, I guess.  The first time you visit the network
interfaces menu, you're expected to just be doing the minimum
necessary work to find the media (as would be the case with any other
media type setup screens).  Once you're done, assuming you used the
Novice install (or use another install mode and are familar with the
Configuration menu) you'll be asked if you want to configure any
additional network interfaces, at which point you should do your
3C509.

When the new sysinstall is out, this will be fixed anyway since
"network setup" will be more general.

> I proceed: no samba, no gateway, no anonymous FTP, no NFS server or
> client, no WWW server, no customize console settings, YES set timezone
> (EST), yes COM1 mouse, yes configure XServer.
>
> Third comment: <-----------------------
>
> Nothing (appears) to happen. Why offer to set up the card if it doesn't do
> anything? Or rather if it is going to fail.  Is this a general fault or
> just the ATI card?

I'm not sure I understand this.  Which X setup tool did you pick?
You did also remember to pick "X Setup Tool" from the list of choices
earlier, right?  If you check the debug screen, you'll probably see
something like: /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup: command not found.
If my guess is correct that you forget to load any of the configuration
tools.

> I choose a whole whack of packages I need/want.  Here is where the real
> problems begin.  First the installation hangs on xemacs.  Failure #2,
> apparently after a lot of messages about files that "don't really
> exist".  The information dialog is left on the screen and there seems to
> be no way to continue without starting the process over again.  Which I

This was with 2.1.7, right?  Fixed.  I didn't lick this one until
*after* the release had already gone out. :-(

> Why isn't there some way to skip a failed package installation and
> proceed with rest of installation? <ctrl>C just exits entire installation
> process.

There will be.  Right now, it's basically just lame about it.

> Once the system is working I try /stand/sysinstall to install those pesky
> packages.  Now everything installs just fine, except XEmacs and Emacs.
> The former still copies OK but during pkg_add it fails with those darn
> "don't really exist" file messages.  Emacs just does nothing, not even
> copying.  No disk activity, no nothing.

Right, see above.  If you update pkg_add from the latest 2.1-stable
sources, this problem will actually go away.

> When XEmacs fails the info dialog left on the screen exhorts me to see
> the debug output.  Where is it?  Not on another VT that I can find.

Heh.  This prompt should probably change, you're right.  When running
multiuser it's in a file called sysinstall.debug, but this also isn't
explained anywhere because I never really meant for the debugging info
to be used by anyone but me once we were running multi-user.  This is,
of course, a weak excuse and sysinstall really should be using syslog
to puke about things once we're installed.  Will do.

> What do I have to do to get XEmacs and/or Emacs installed from 2.1.7 CD?

Update pkg_add from -stable.

> Why can't the installation process install a somewhat more sophisticated
> X Windows environment.  I would be nice to get to something a little
> better looking than tvm and have to try to manual patch together a
> desktop. A series of screen snapshots in a setup utility? XDesktopSetup?
> Click on the look you like and I'll create the .whatever files and copy
> the appropriate window manager, etc. Not part of /stand/sysinstall, just
> pointed to from there!

I've commented about this many times, and every attempt to solicit a
reasonable set of dotfiles for this (and I'm a UNIX techzoid, so my
dotfiles are *not* useful to the average Joe) has resulted in a lot of
discussion but nothing more tangible than that. :-)

Thanks for your comments..

					Jordan