Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 21:19:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple distfiles

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * Somewhat related, if the authoratative source for a set of files
>  * does not offer them in any archived format, is there a preferred
>  * way of dealing with this?
>
> You mean you need to fetch them one by one?  Well, that depends on a
> couple other factors (number of files, whether they are using wu-ftpd,
> etc.)....

One case is the HTML DTDs from W3C.  Versions 0 through 2 are
available as a tar file, but wilbur (3.2) and cougar are only
available as separate file--about 4 each.  Furthermore, they are
available only via ftp as far as I can tell.  On the bright side,
I've been in contact with the powers that be and they are
considering offering them neatly packaged up.

In another case, even if wu-ftpd was an option, grabbing the
directory would be like using a drag-net, catching every living
thing from the ocean just to get a couple small files.  :(

-john