Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 16:26:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Greg Quinlan <gquinlan@qmpgmc.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AAA-131CA

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Greg Quinlan wrote:

> Can you please let me know ASAP if there is a driver compatiable with
> this controller go out and buy one.

No.  The only RAID array controller supported is the DPT PCI-based
controllers.

> RE: "mrouted"  (tunnelling)

>         Am I right in assuming that this can be used for VPN's that
> have the 192.168.x.x network (which can NOT & will NOT be routed over
> the internet as per RFC1918)

> ie. IP traffic encapsulation between two legitimate IP addresses.
>         eg.
> 192.168.1.x <=> 194.81.5.x <=> (INTERNET) <=> 194.81.6.x <=> 192.168.2.x
>       ^ Legit                                                  ^legit
>
>         Thus 192.168.1 network can see 192.168.2 network.
>
> Yes or No will surfice!

First of all, mrouted is for routing/tunnelling MULTICAST traffic, not
UNICAST traffic.  I hope you understand this.

Secondly, as long as real IPs (194.81.x.x) are the endpoints of the
tunnel, it should work fine.  Obviously you cannot attach the ends of the
tunnel to the 192.168 addresses as the Internet routers won't know how to
reach them.