Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 18:02:01 -0800
From:      Jill R Pelavin <jill@securify.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pw problem- can't get it to work

I'm trying to use pw to add users (as I want to call this in a
script) and I am experimenting with it on the command line.

for example, I have typed:

# pw useradd jill -m -s bash

the output I get is:  Password for jill is:  anaoentuhaotuenh
                                    pw:  no default shell available or
defined

then I try to cd to the homedir that -m was supposed to create.

# cd /home/jill
No such file or directory

and when I use the command:  su -- jill

I get the error:  su: unknown login : jill

does anybody know why this is happening?  my pw.conf file, which is
located in /etc, is included below

(i generated the file with the command pw useradd -D)

I'm running freebsd 3.3

thanks!

-Jill

#
# pw.conf - user/group configuration defaults
#

# Password for new users? no=nologin yes=loginid none=blank
random=random
defaultpasswd = "random"

# Reuse gaps in uid sequence? (yes or no)
reuseuids = "no"

# Reuse gaps in gid sequence? (yes or no)
reusegids = "no"

# Path to the NIS passwd file (blank or 'no' for none)
nispasswd =

# Obtain default dotfiles from this directory
skeleton = "/usr/share/skel"

# Mail this file to new user (/etc/newuser.msg or no)
newmail = "no"

# Log add/change/remove information in this file
logfile = "/var/log/userlog"

# Root directory in which $HOME directory is created
home = "/home"

# Colon separated list of directories containing valid shells
shellpath = "/bin","usr/local/bin"

# Space separated list of available shells (without paths)
shells = "bash","sh","csh"

# Default shell (without path)
defaultshell = "bash"

# Default group (leave blank for new group per user)
defaultgroup = ""

# Extra groups for new users
extragroups =

# Default login class for new users
defaultclass = ""

# Range of valid default user ids
minuid = 1000
maxuid = 32000

# Range of valid default group ids
mingid = 1000
maxgid = 32000

# Days after which account expires (0=disabled)
expire_days = 0

# Days after which password expires (0=disabled)
password_days = 0