Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:07:13 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adding a second hard drive

chip said on Jun  7, 2000 at 23:07:20:

> I have 3 hard drives in my pc and would like to move everything that is
> not a
> necessary part of the root partition onto a second drive. Is this just a
> simple
> matter of making a /usr directory on the second drive and moving the
> currant /usr
> directory contents into it, then linking the two?
> What about the other directorys? /var /dev/ /etc and etc etc

You can move /usr if you're careful (the catch being that the
libraries are there and binaries linked to those libraries won't
work).  I'd do it like this: copy the /usr directory to the second
drive (use cp -pR to copy recursively preserving flags, modification
times, ownership etc), unmount the second drive, then move your
original /usr out of the way (to /usr.old, say) and mount the second
drive as /usr (alternatively, leave it mounted as something else and
symlink it).  Then if it's all working ok, remove /usr.old .  You may
want to do it in single user mode (or make sure nobody else is using
the system and you're not doing anything else), since there'll be a
short time when the libraries are not accessible and only static
binaries will work.

I'd leave the rest (/var, /dev, /etc) as they are.  /var contains
spool data (mail, print) and it's tricky to move that.  The others
aren't so bulky anyway.  I don't know whether there are any issues
in moving /dev and /etc.

R.