Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:16:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Keith Leonard  <root@myplace.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   refined silo overflow question

Howdy,

in going throught the mailing list search for the 'silo
overflow' problem some experience I ran across this:

Date:      Thu, 4 May 1995 13:20:31 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org, nc@ai.net, questions@FreeBSD.org
Sender:    questions-owner@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: silo overflow!? w/ 16550s!

>I have a system with 4 16550 capable serial ports. All run on their own
>IRQ and I/O address. Two of the ports are internal modems [a 14.4 and a
>28.8] and card has another 2 ports each connected to 28.8s. All ports [as
>above] are 16550 UART'd.

>When one connection is open full blast [a slip] there is no problem. The
>minute I try to use kermit to dial out to a local system for giggles, or
>even another modem on the same machine I get :

>system /kernel: sio1: 1 more silo overflow (total of 10)  for example.

************* THE IMPORTANT PART ***************************

The 16550 fifo trigger level is set very agressively (to 14) to maximise
efficiency.  Dynamic adjustment of the trigger level (to 8, then 4, then
2, then 1) after silo overflows is #ifdef'ed off.  A level of 8 would
probably work for all 386/16 and faster systems with only 4 ports,
provided they don't have bus-hogging DMA controller.  You currently have
to edit the sources to change the level.

Can someone tell me where this 'trigger level' is set and
how to change it so that I might get rid of an annoying
message to console. I need to recompile the kernel for the
laptop anyway and it would sure be nice to clean up a few
loose ends. (using ver. 2.1.5)

Keith
kleon@bellsouth.net
Webmaster  -  http://www.rexart.com  - Rex Artist Supplies
Bombeck's Rule of Medicine:
	Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.