Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:51:50 -0400
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        mmcdaniel@mcp.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Book Research (was Re: Question)

Maureen,
	Unfortunately, I can't answer your question about the web site hits,
except to say "Alot".

	As far as the desire for books on FreeBSD, I think the market would
take to it, especially if it had a nice big flashy cover so it stood out on
a shelf full of Linux books.

	But, more seriously, we have some 100+ machines here in our lab at
Cisco, and everyone in our group uses the systems on a daily basis. A few
months ago, we purchased copies of Greg Lahey's book, "The Complete FreeBSD",
for each of our engineers (some 50 copies at the time, we've increased in
size since then). We're now looking at buying even more copies of the Third
Edition, which recently came out, to bring everyone up to date with all of the
latest 3.x changes and features.

	However, even with a book as great as Greg's, I constantly feel the
need for a book for the "low power" user, who is relatively new to the
enviornment who needs hand holding when it comes not only to system
configuration (which we use Greg's book for daily), but also for the user
aspects - such as setting up desktops, and to also explain a lot of the
concepts of Unix and FreeBSD that don't have other mediums (ie - how sendmail
interacts with DNS for security purposes blew two hours of my day yesterday).

	So, to get to the point, yes, more books are better. I also believe
that you could make a killing if the book was targeted to the right audience.

	If you have any other questions or comments, don't hesitate to
contact me at bmcgover@cisco.com.

			-Brian