Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2000 13:35:14 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ok, stupid questions

Rick Hamell wrote:

>         Where do I go to find information on setting up a nameserver? :) I
> must be missing it in the handbook, and I don't have access to Greg's book
> here at work. I've done man dns and read through that and the suggested
> man pages, still unclear as to where to start. :( Thanks in advance!
>
>                                 Rick

Start in /etc/namedb, read the example config files for named,
(/etc/namedb/named.conf by default for FreeBSD > 3.1). Simply formulate
yourself a new config file based on the example provided with FreeBSD.
Then you can run the /etc/namedb/make-localhost utility to create a
localhost.rev file, this will control the zone required for the loopback
interface. You can then copy the header from this file to create new
zone files. UGU is a good place to start reading online as to how you
should exactly formulate said zonefiles. Try http://www.ugu.com/, I know
they have some really good links for DNS stuff there. When you run into
more specific questions regarding DNS, (ie a specific problem with say
an MX record), re-post a request here and someone will most likely be
able to help you out.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com