Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 21:29:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems w/ 2.1-STABLE and xmcd?

> Hi,
> I've checked prev. mailing lists and was unable to find a solution.
>
> I have a Pioneer DRM-624X cdrom changer, that FreeBSD only recognizes
> the first disk (but this is not the problem...)
You should be able to get more by editing scsiconf.c and adding an entry
for the drive.. (there should already be one for the 600 I think (yes)
In fact, there are two sets, on under NEW_SCSICONF and one in the old section..

This section is going to be cleaned up soon, including a smarter
pattern matching routine :)

> I wanted to play audio CD's from FreeBSD like I was doing from Linux,
> so I grabbed the xmcd dist from the xmcd web site.  I was getting
> the well known ioctl permission errors (as reported previously).

( yes, you needed to use a particular device..cd0c or cd0.ctl I believe)

> I then saw a post to grab a FreeBSD "fix" from burka.netvision.net.il,
> and the xmcd.static that was shipped with this package no longer gave
> ioctl errors, it paniced my machine with the message:
>
> panic: biodone: buffer not busy

I thought this was fixed.. (as you thought)

> This time, I do not believe the machine reported a panic.  It just
> froze SOLID.  No numlock toggling (etc), ctrl-alt-del didn't reboot.
> I do not believe a panic was reported.
did you have DDB in the kernel?
often makes a difference..

> I'd love to be able to listen to music again at work, but more importantly,
> I am concerned that this could be a problem with FreeBSD.
>
> I'm using a P90 AST w/32 mb RAM, NCR controller on MB, 2gb scsiII hd.
                                  ^^^^^
hmm might be a problem in there.. sounds like it hung the bus.

> Any solutions?  Thanks!
no, sorry, not at the moment