Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 22:17:48 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Mobile Computer <mobile@vta.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nokia 8210 (6190!)

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 11:47:58AM -0400, Mobile Computer wrote:

> Your assertion about 'just working' with a serial port, absent gNokii: I
> just tried this on a 4.2-RELEASE machine, with a brand new Nokia 6190
> without success. Am I missing something obvious? Could support for this
> behavior and these phones ( as serial port connected modem devices )
> actually be part of a ( later ) sio (4) driver?
>
> For reference, the phone does appear to work as expected with Nokia's
> bundled software and /* dreaded */ W98.
>
> I have plans to try out gNokii later this afternoon. It would be great if
> this works under any FreeBSD related circumstance, I am trying to replace
> a Mitsubishi PCMCIA GSM data modem / phone combo which has an unknown
> hardware incompatibility with my (used to be) new Toshiba 1695 CDT.

OK, finally found out what a 6190 is (it seems they don't list the US
models on http://www.nokia.com/phones/ any more).  It looks like a US
version of the 6110 (http://www.nokia.com/phones/6110/), which is quite old
as these things go and which I believe needs extra software such as the
Nokia Data Suite to do data connections from a PC.

The gNokii page (http://www.gnokii.org/) doesn't explicitly list the 6190
as supported, but it might still work -- only one way to find out :-) For a
plain old serial connection a later model handset (7110, 6210, maybe the
6150, or the US equivalents of these) would be required.

Cheers,

	Scott