Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 19:01:45 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "David A. Bader" <dbader@eece.unm.edu>
To:        will@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        will@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/12188: New port: pbs-2.1.11 (misc/PBS) a batch scheduler

I would appreciate this being kept a port.

Rationale: there are several Linux clustering projects (Beowulf,
ExtremeLinux, TurboLinux, etc.) that aim to provide all the tools to
use Linux in high-performance cluster computing. FreeBSD can compete
with Linux and provide these same services. For instance, I maintain
the FreeBSD "MPI" port (net/mpich) that provides a programming API and
message-passing library for cluster programming.

The port below (misc/PBS) provides a batch scheduler that is necessary
for cluster computing in production environments. Once we have these
codes as "ports", it is very simple to leverage FreeBSD for
high-performance computing.

-david

David A. Bader, Ph.D.                           Office: 505-277-6724
Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering     FAX:    505-277-1439
EECE Building
University of New Mexico                         dbader@eece.unm.edu
Albuquerque, NM  87131               http://www.eece.unm.edu/~dbader