Date:      Mon, 06 Oct 1997 09:58:08 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   src/Makefile all sorted out.

OK, /usr/src/Makefile should be both properly "parallelized" and
merged now.

As most folks have already figured out, -j4 seems to help uniprocessor
boxes to build the world faster (mostly because a typical compile
spends a lot of its time waiting for I/O) though much past -j4 and it
becomes a question of diminishing returns.  I've tried -j6, -j8 and
-j12 just for laughs on a P6/200 with 128MB of memory and the build
time did, indeed, increase past -j4.

My SMP box is still in the process of being constructed, so you'll
have to wait before I can tell you whether or not -j8 follows this
trend for 2 P6/200 CPUs. :-)

					Jordan