Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:25:58 -0400
From:      "Alan L. Clarke" <toadie@cyberenet.net>
To:        "QUESTIONS, FREEBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   MBR

I have several quetions concerning the MBR.

1.  I understand that each disk on a drive contains a MBR.

2.  I have 2 IDE drives.  The first (primary) has an OS installed, and
the second has nothing on it.  If
     place freebsd on the second drive and do not touch the primary
drive, how does the "system"
     know what's on the 2nd drive (freebsd) if the primary drive boots
up the other OS.

3. Does the boot manager that I "think" I placed on the second drive
communicate to the "system"?

    I have read info on boot managers, and it appears that all the
booting must be done from the primary drive.

Thanks
Alan