Date:      Sat, 8 May 1999 14:06:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Toolkit: which packages are 3.1?

On Sat, 8 May 1999, Donald Wilde wrote:

# The README on Disk1 claims there are NO packages on Disk1, Disk3 and
# Disk4 have the same README. If Disk1 has the 3.1 Packages, then its
# README is flawed.

The packages on disc1 are the "must have, can't wait til after
the first reboot" ELF packages for the 3.x and 4.x i386 snapshots.
They were stuck on there towards the end of the cycle, because
we had a few spare bits left and my impromptu poll on the ports
mailing list showed that these were among the ones that people
said they couldn't live without.  I see that it says there are no
packages, and all I can think of was that we missed making the
correction.  Though it might have been left that way, to keep
people from trying to install ELF packages while using the 2.2.8
snapshot that's there.  Should we amend the README or post an
ERRATA on the website somewhere?

Unless the READMEs have changed from the ones up on bento then the
first part of disc3's says:

    "This CDROM contains the latest distfiles (for /usr/ports) for
     the 2.2-STABLE branch and up as well as packages for the 2.2
     branch which were produced after 2.2.8 was released.  The
     packages may also be used in later (3.x and 4.x) releases with
     the compat22 distribution loaded."

Discs [345] are exclusively for 2.2-STABLE, though some of the same
distfiles are required for 3.x and 4.x, and as it says you can use
a.out packages on the later releases if you have the a.out libraries
(compat22) installed.

The only 3.1 bits on the Toolkit CDs besides the snapshots and a
few packages on disc1 are the contents of disc6, which represent
all of the distfiles that couldn't fit on the 3.1-RELEASE CDs.

-steve