Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:34:16 -0700
From:      "Mark Koskenmaki" <powerwagon@nwbombers.com>
To:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   What's cooking?

It's been a long time since I was on this list.

Wondering if it's active.

I have an interesting idea,  I need multiport ethernet (that is, ethernet
ports, no serial, etc) routers at remote locations, preferrably ones that
can run on low power - that is, solar / wind generation - say, 12V DC.
One needs to be able to support at least 4 nics.  This is a mountaintop
location, and I'm routing wireless IP networks at that point.   The network
configuration at that point becomes somewhat complex, as I have a multi-hop
P2P wireless link to start, then I need to add new networks which are
subnetted, and point at various POP's in small towns in sight of the
hilltop.

If you know of any hardware filling this bill, that can run picobsd, let me
know.

I'm still interested in the goings on here... and even if I have to use a
regular PC somehow kludged into weatherproof boxes, I'll do it.  I've seen
Linux devices sort of made for this, but I don't want to use Linux...I'm
just a BSD fanatic :)   Oh, yeah, I'm a cheap SOB, so no way will you see me
buying Cisco routers to do what I could do with an old PC and some NIC
cards... !

Mark Koskenmaki
webmaster:www.nwbombers.com
Forum moderator @ turbodieselregister.com