Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2012 10:57:47 -0400
From:      Wajih Ahmed <wajih.ahmed@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 9.0 and (Kingspec) PATA drive ATA status errors. Drive unusable.

I have a Dell D420 laptop with the ZIF interface and uses a 1.8" PATA
drive.  I purchased a Kingspec 16GB SSD and installed it.  The BIOS
recogonizes the drive.  I am using the USB image to boot in verbose mode.
Upon boot the disk is recognized by FreeBSD 9.0 as follows (sorry for any
typos as i am reading this off the console):

ada0 at ata0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
ada0: <KingSpec KSD-ZF18.6-016MS 20120202> ATA-7 device
ada0: Serial number...
ada0: 100.0000MB/s transfers (UDMA5, PIO 512bytes)

Then i see these errors

(ada0:ata0:0:0:0): ATA status error
.....READ_DMA. ACB: c8 ....
.....CAM status: ATA status error
.....ATA status: 51 (DRDY SERV ERR), error: 84 (ICRC ABRT)

As a result the disk is rendered unusable and i cannot write (partition) to
it.  I did test the drive with a linux boot disk and i was able to format
it.

So my question is how can i make this drive work?  Do i need to pass
something to the kernel at boot to lower the speed of the drive.  Maybe to
UDMA66?  Any help will be really appreciated.