Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2014 18:13:57 +0300
From:      Arto Pekkanen <aksyom@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to start X.org with KMS in FreeBSD 10.0 without using the new_xorg repo

--5682QJcmxASaKGtLOgmMKTrffVBGNBFoo

FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p5, some Acer laptop with Intel HD3000 IGP.

Today I got bored of constantly updating packages with poudriere, and upg=
raded all of them with pkg upgrade. By this time I had a working X11 with=
 Intel KMS.

The operation worked just fine, except that after rebooting X would not s=
tart; X.org log reported "(EE) No devices found".

The wiki page https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/WITH_NEW_XORG suggests th=
at all relevant packages are compiled WITH_NEW_XORG in the default reposi=
tory (http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/). But it seems thi=
s is not the case. I had to add the http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86=
:64/new_xorg/ -repository and do pkg upgrade, only then I managed to get =
X.org working again.

The reason why I assumed that the official packages would work is because=
 there is no mention of having to use the "new_xorg" repo anywhere in the=
 Handbook.

Should the relevant documentation (https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x=
-install.html) be updated so that people who have no previous experience =
dealing with this whole KMS issue can get their X.org working? The docume=
ntation could at least mention that "if the installed X.org won't find de=
vices, please configure new_xorg repo and do pkg upgrade".

Should I mention this in freesd-doc mailing list? Or is there a reason wh=
y this issue has not been documented in handbook yet?

--=20
Arto Pekkanen
ksym@IRCnet