Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 12:39:18 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        Question=answer <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Melting 2 partitions into 1 (fwd)

> > why not delete the source after you have compiled it?
> > (make clean is your friend)
>
> I just do "make clean"? In which dir?
>
> > also cd /usr/ports/distfiles and rm anything you
> > have already installed.
>
> Well, all that is there is installed! I always installed
> via make install,
> and never ported manually... These files
> (source & distfiles) are useless?

yes, once you have typed "make install"

[...]

> > 4MB free
>
> Why is that 4Mb alone and free?
because DOS likes to start on a cylinder boundary and the
first cylinder already has a block in use (the bootblock)
so it skips that one and starts on the second cylinder.
there are 8000 blocks per cylinder on your disk, so that's 4MB
You could put some stuff in it if you were adventurous but it's hardly
worth it.

> > 1000MB DOS
> > 500MB free
> > 1250MB FBSD
> > 500MB free
> >
> > You say you want to grow the DOS by some amount.
> > use partition magic for that first before any other changes..
> > We need that completed before we go any further.
>
> This is now:
>
> 1 Gb            DOS
> 500 Mb          Extended DOS
> 1.275 Gb        FreeBSD
> 500 Mb +-       FreeSpace
ok this is a dead snap.
just use (from UNIX in single user mode)
fdisk -u /dev/rwd0
and extend the size of the BSD partition to be the
whole rest of the diskby adding the remaining blocks to the
present size of 2612736
then reboot ( not strictly needed but.... )
after reboot, in single user mode do:
If the device /dev/rwds2 doesn't exist in /dev.
(cd /dev ; sh MAKEDEV wd0s2g)

disklabel -r -e /dev/rwd0s2  rwd0c might work as well

edit the 'blocks per unit field and the size of the 'c'
partition to reflect the new size.

reboot. to single user mode again
check during boot for any unusiual errors about the disk partitions.

let me know what disklabel and fdisk looks like after this..