Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 17:26:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, mal@algonet.se
Subject:   Re:  SMP + Wine => panic

> I got a kernel panic when trying to run wine on my SMP current system
> (cvsup'ped July 21, 2xPpro233 on Providence mb, smp+softupdates).
>
> Could it be the USER_LDT stuff not working with SMP?
>
> I have appended the stack trace, if someone wants more info just ask.

I doubt it's SMP related. It looked like the page fault occured when
trying to access the user ldt table. Could you look at pcb->pcb_ldt
(long word at 0xf444801c)? Is it 0? You may want to try the patch
I submitted in PR i386/6219 (use the patch in my own follow up, there're
some error in the original submission).

>       _
> Mats Lofkvist
> mal@algonet.se
>
> PS  Is anyone working on replacing the clone() calls in wine with
>     something that could work on FreeBSD? I could only find rather
>     old messages about it via dejanews.
I implemented the function SYSDEPS_SpawnThread() [scheduler/sysdeps.c]
with rfork(), but have never tried it (don't have a multithread
application that runs under wine). You may download it from
    http://www.winehq.com/patches980712/fbsd-thread

> PPS Which of the sysctl vars am I supposed to tweak to turn
>     the second processor off?

machdep.smp_active

-lq