Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 16:17:13 +0200
From:      Dave Boers <djb@ifa.au.dk>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Subject:   Re: hlt instructions and temperature issues

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 01:53:50PM +0200, Dave Boers wrote:
> The kernel looks stable, even though from the thread I get the impression
> that many problems might arise. To stress the system somewhat, I'll do a
> make -j 12 buildworld now. See if it crashes.

It didn't crash. During the process I followed processor utilization using
top and everything seems just normal to me. Also, the system does not
appear slower than normal at all.

During the buildworld the processor temperature never reached above 40
degrees celcius. So I guess, comparing to the 50 degrees Celcius, that
whatever an unmodified SMP FreeBSD-system is doing during idle time, it
sure makes the processor very hot; even hotter than during full load in
buildworld -j 12.

Regards,

    Dave Boers.

--
 djb@ifa.au.dk                              d.j.boers@tn.utwente.nl
 PGP key:  ftp://relativity.student.utwente.nl:/pub/pgpkeys/djb.asc