Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:33:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rendition Verite 1000 rev 2 PCI and XF86 3.3.5?

Hmm...

Went to install Jan 11th's 3.4-STABLE snapshot on a client's system:

Pentium II-233
ASUS Motherboard (don't have chipset handy... Uses SDRAM)
64MB SDRAM
Using IDE drive controller, second serial port, parallel port
Not much else... Generic PCI sound card that currently hasn't been
configured in the kernel.

I'd provide dmesg and X errors, but thanks to DHCP, my client's IP has
changed and I won't have ssh access for a little while.  My apologies...
I'll do the best that I can.

When starting X, the card is correctly (--) probed as a Rendition Verite
1000.  However, no matter what card I choose in the XF86Setup card config,
I get funny results.

VGA16, of course, works... But is NOT really an alternative :-)

Trying SVGA server with generic (probed) settings in detailed setup
doesn't get very far... Starting X either gives a blank screen and a HARD
LOCK (i.e., hard drive dies, logout, Ctl-Alt-Del ineffective, can't ping
from outside.  Power toggle/fsck required), or starts in funny modes like
320x200 (unknown colour depth).

Selecting the Rendition Verite 1000 gives the same results as above (most
commonly, blank screen and lock).

Selecting Creative's Verite 1000 will actually start X with what appears
to be the selected (640x480) screen resolution.  However, when X is shut
down, I get a helicopter pattern in text mode across all vtys that various
vidcontrol settings/modes won't fix.  Fastboot outta that one, for lack of
a better way to set scan frequencies or whatever is causing the
flipping :-)

Selecting just about anything else gives at least one of the above
scenarios.

This is the first time I've heard about these Verite cards... All I know
about this particular card is Win98's internal Rendition Verite 1000
driver appears to be able to fire the card flawlessly, and switch back and
fourth to/from full screen text without the helicopter pattern.

I'm open to the idea that the card/monitor/system combination is
buggy/damaged, but I'd be more inclined to think it's a compatibility
problem.  Has anybody had any experiences with these cards, good, bad or
indifferent?

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  50% Owner, Technical and Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2