Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:03:09 +0100
From:      Bruno Afonso <brunomiguel@dequim.ist.utl.pt>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   3d support on new Centrino laptop

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a new laptop, like the hp x1010, nx7000 or maybe
toshiba satellite Pro M10.

All Hp/Compaq that I'm interested in come with Radeon 9200 videocards,
and I think there's only linux drivers for agp gart support. No one has
ported the intel drivers. Since ati doesn't make a videocard driver that
includes agp gart support, I won't be able to have any 3d acceleration.

Toshiba Satellite Pro M10 comes with a Geforce 420 Go video card and I
think nvidia drivers may give me 3d acceleration with no major hickups.

Am I thinking correctly about these two options? Can anyone suggest
other notebooks in the same price range that may be a better choice? :)

Finally, anyone using 3d acceleration daily on a centrino laptop?

I kind of "need it" for structural molecular biology programs. It's not
nice to work with pymol - for example - without 3d acceleration. I don't
have any 3d acceleration support on my desktop either and it's a pain to
work with... (ati videocard, no nforce2 agp gart support)

--
Bruno Miguel Afonso
Biological Eng. student.