Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2017 20:43:00 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        "John W. O'Brien" <john@saltant.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Python List <freebsd-python@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposal: default to concurrent

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 08:26:27PM -0500, John W. O'Brien wrote:
> Thank you for your input.
>=20
> On 1/29/17 19:50, Roland Smith wrote:
> [...]
> > There also seems to be a trend of separate py3-* ports. This is sometim=
es a
> > much better solution than trying to make a single port support python 2=
 and 3.
>=20
> If I am not mistaken, the purpose of the py3-* ports is mainly to
> deliver some python3 support via the default build and thence the
> official pkg repository. As a convenience for those of who build our own
> ports, it also enables 2+3 support within a single build instead of
> having to coordinate multiple builds and maintain multiple repositories.

There are more issues with building the same port for two different python
versions. The #!-line will be different which leads to daily warnings about
mismatching checksums.

> Sadly, I don't see how it would address this pain point. Even with

I didn't mean to imply it was. I just thought them very useful.

> py-SPAM and py3-SPAM, or py2-SPAM and py-SPAM, concurrent *installation*
> still requires that the intersection of plists is the empty set.

To achieve this, any scripts/binaries installed by a Python package would
*always* have to be suffixed. Personally, I don't mind since basically every
shell has tab-completion.

Maybe we should just suffix *all* python-based scripts, and *don't* install=
suffix-less one? That would certainly make things clear (explicit even ;-).
But as others have mentioned, it might not be what some people expect.

Could we add an automatic extra to the pkg-message, like:

    To enable the installation of package FOO for multiple Python versions,
    the script BAR has been installed for Python-X.Y as BAR-X.Y.

> Furthermore, concurrent installation is useful for multiple minor
> versions of python3, not just python2.7 plus python3.x.

So suffixes it is, then?

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99--