Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 95 20:31 CDT
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org
Subject:   No lost+found - offer a substitute?

[0][ ... lost+found not created by default ... ]

[1]Time to add the appropriate part to newfs(8)?

[2]I asked Kirk about this and he said "no". I might still have the
[2] email around somewhere.

[3]I still think his arguments are only valid for the log structured FS.

Ok, how about changing fsck to offer to use /tmp (or some other
directory) in place of lost+found if it can't create lost+found?

There is a precedence for fsck asking for something other than Y/N
input.  I remember older systems asking for the name of a device
for writing a scratch file.

I've had to rename tmp into lost+found with a filesystem zapper more than
once to avoid losing something important after a bad crash when lost+found
was one of the things that was wiped.

Since then, every site I touch gets lost+found and a lost-found
directories (just in case).

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Fastest Route)| demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem               |"A what?"
...decvax!fw.ast.com!nemesis!uhclem         |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983