Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:53:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Andy McConnell <andym@ntt.net>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE PNP not recognized

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Conrad Sabatier wrote:

>On 18-Nov-98 Andy McConnell wrote:
>> (Thanks Conrad!  I've been working off your web-based instructions
>> already!)
>>
>> I've done that... But I used drq1 5 instead (as recc. by the cards docs).
>>
>> I also didn't disable LDN 1 and 3... Would that make the difference?
>
>No, that shouldn't matter.
>
>> Did I miss setting something on the card itself?  Like booting to DOS or
>> (gasp) Win95 and initializing the card in some way?
>
>Perhaps.  It's very strange that pnpinfo doesn't even find the card.  It's not
>one of the newer PCI cards, is it?

:-)   fairly new... Jut bought it new a few weeks ago.  AWE64 Gold.
What about the new cards makes them not found in FreeBSD?  Is it the
vendor ID?  If so, where could I change that/recompile?  if it's more
complex.... Damn, it's been years since my OS class... :-)

>Again, check your BIOS settings.  On some machines, strangely enough, you have
>to *disable* PnP in the BIOS.

I'll try that first.  But it seems unlikely, since the USR Sportster I
have seems to respond quite nicely to the OS.

--
Andy McConnell      真向練 安堵龍
NTT America IP Headquarters

Have you ever noticed how nothing is impossible for those who
don't have to do it?