Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 1995 12:29:57 +0059 (MET)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        jg@euronet.nl (Jan_Guldemond)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Nameserver

> But I'm trying a name lookup on host.jcn.nl. The FreeBSD-host on the LAN.
> The IP-number is defined in the /etc/hosts file. And the /etc/resolv.conf
> tells the system to look in the hosts file first. What else can I do to get
> the workstation to succeed in the name-lookup?

The /etc/hosts file is only used to do name lookups on the local FreeBSD
machine. It can never be used to do name lookup's from remote machines.
If you are using trumpet, you need to have a full nameserver up and running
on the network with the correct entries in them. The nameserver is
called "named". The rest of it in the man page :-).

	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.7   Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe