Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:00:03 -0700
From:      Robin Chen <robinche@vividnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NAT using real ip

Hello,

I have 2 providers giving me static ip access to the internet.
Generally I want to use provider A for all traffic because I have
several ip addresses to use, but I want to utilize provider B for all
http traffic.  Can I utilize natd for this?

Currently I have a FreeBSD router as the main gateway to the internet
using provider A.  I've also installed a nat server connected to
provider B.  The nat server has 2 interfaces, fxp0 using ip address from
provider A and rl0 using ip address from provider B.  The default route
for nat server is using provider B.

On the main gateway, I'm using:

ipfw add fwd nat.server.machine tcp from provider.a.ip to any 80

I've set up the nat server running natd -interface rl0 with following:

ipfw add divert natd tcp from any to any 80 via rl0
ipfw add allow ip from any to any

The result of the verbose output is:

Out [TCP]  [TCP] client.provider.a.ip:4094 -> outside.web.site:80
aliased to
           [TCP] provider.b.ip:4094 -> outside.web.site:80

but the client using provider a's ip cannot pull up any websites.  What
do I need to change?

Thanks,

Robin