Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:38:12 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-arch@chittenden.org>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP sequence numbers: RFC1948 patch ready for testing

Existing sessions would not be broken by rekeying.  The risk is that
some new session might fail - and this can happen any time a new
session with the same tuple starts shortly after an old session which
spans the rekeying event ends.

If it becomes possible to brute-force (or smart-sneak) reverse MD5
in less time than the life of the Universe, the right answer is to
change the hash, not to rekey.

You guys don't seem to want to believe RFC1948:

   Note that the secret cannot easily be changed on a live machine.
   Doing so would change the initial sequence numbers used for
   reincarnated connections; to maintain safety, either dead connection
   state must be kept or a quiet time observed for two maximum segment
   lifetimes after such a change.

Have you asked Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com> whether he still
stands by those words?  He's not that unapproachable, despite being
one of the most prominent folks in computer networking and security
around.  But he earned that reputation by being right, pretty close
to 100% of the time.

Barney