Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:46:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Dhee Reddy <dhee@myrealbox.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: No entries in /proc :: feature or problem ??

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Mike Barcroft wrote:

> Dhee Reddy <dhee@myrealbox.com> writes:
> > Hello all.
> >    Just tried to look up some info and saw that the /proc filesystem doesn't
> >    contain any files.
> >        Shouldn't they contain entries correcponding to all the processes ?
> > truely
>
> This question was just asked a few days ago (yesterday?).  By default,
> /proc is no longer mounted.  To reenable it (not recommended for
> production systems because of procfs' poor security record) add the
> following line to fstab:  proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

This sounds like this will be a common 5.0 FAQ.  We should probably put it
on the web page somewhere, with some useful discussion of the benefits and
risks.  It's not clear to me why the open office build is looking for
procfs -- probably so that it can get to /proc/pid/cmdline, which is a
bogusism if ever I saw one.  I talked with Martin Blapp at one point about
how to adapt the Open Office build to DTRT -- it really shouldn't be hard
to teach it to use argv, one way or the other, especially given that
Solaris (on which Star Office runs quite nicely) doesn't support cmdline.
:-)

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories