Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:35:09 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   star office and aplixware compared on .doc and .xls?

> But if you are using FreeBSD 4.0 I suggest you "invest" in a copy of FreeBSD
> applixware 4.2

> I everyweek I constantly type in this mailing list maybe Applixware should do
> some "cash for comments" deal with me.

Has anyone made a comparison  between how Staroffice 5.2 and Aplixware
4.2 compare in handling dark-side documents?

This is quite literally the only use I have, though I may need to read
power point files this coming semester (If I want to change the slides
that come with my text--but since the author's versions are already
available, I probably won't [besides, experience shows that well done
authors' slides tend to be better htan my own :) ]).

I recall a year or two ago that a major new england bank actually
switched from ms office to staroffice *because* of compatibility wiht
.xls files--staroffice did a better job than excel.  [do you have excel
6 or 95 or 97?  version a, b, or c?  Tuesday or Thursday's version?
morning or afternoon . . .)

Personally, there's no way I'm going back to a word processor after
lyx, but I do use a spreadsheet once a year for taxes (I think I have
few enough students to not use one this year for grades, but maybe not
. . )

hawk