Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:15:34 +0000
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munkboxen.mine.nu>
To:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Keylogging for a tty session

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 12:22:05PM +0000, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> This help?
>
> WATCH(8)                FreeBSD System Manager's Manual
>
> NAME
>      watch - snoop on another tty line
>
> SYNOPSIS
>      watch [-cinotW] [-f snpdev] [tty]
>
> DESCRIPTION
> Watch allows the user to examine all data coming through a
> specified tty using the snp(4) device.  If the snp(4) device is not
> available, watch will attempt to load the module (snp).  Watch writes to
> standard output.
Any ideas how to start logging to a file using watch in a way that's
transparent to the user when they login via ssh?  In this case
'transparent' in that the user has no way of stopping the logging.

I wouldn't use this on regular users as I don't know how ethical it is
to log keystrokes as an administrator, even if you own the network.  At
the end of the day if a user pays for a service, shouldn't they have
some degree of privacy, even from admins?  But then again perhaps
monitoring the many and punishing the few so that the many will be saved denial
of service perhaps justifies logging keystrokes.

Cheers,
Jez