Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 15:40:25 -0800
From:      Jamie Lawrence <jal@thirdwave.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bad Block - What To Do?

Hi all -

True to form, I seem to be having problems just when my server
is going under a heavy load.

abu: {68} ./test.pl
free(69408) bad block. (memtop = 7e800 membot = 527d0)
./test.cgi: Bad file descriptor.

I'm not entirely sure what this is telling me - more accesses
the file just fine:

abu: {69} more test.pm
#!usr/bin/perl

print <<EOF;

This is merely a stupid test

EOF
abu: {70}

I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.7.

I guess I'm asking what to do about this - I'm assuming I need
to reformat the drive, but praying I don't. Any hints?

-j

--
  "I am about to, or going to, die. Either expression is used."
     --Last words of Mme. Brouhors, Grammarian, August, 1752.