Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:43:32 +0200
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        timothyr@timothyr.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some Network Traffic Not Getting Through Firewall

Taken from LINT:

# IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT causes the default rule (at boot) to
# allow everything.  Use with care, if a cracker can crash your
# firewall machine, they can get to your protected machines.  However,
# if you are using it as an as-needed filter for specific problems as
# they arise, then this may be for you.  Changing the default to 'allow'
# means that you won't get stuck if the kernel and /sbin/ipfw binary get
# out of sync.

I'm not entirely sure that you can run ipfw correctly with this option
in the kernel.  The only options _you_ (in your specific case) would
need would be:

IPFIREWALL
IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
IPDIVERT

Then, using your rule base, you should be able to get to those pages.
tcpdump might show you more info though.

Hope this helps...your problem is ...interesting...  :)

Oh, and with regards to your terminal question, I think the general
consensus is either to use putty
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) or SecureCRT.

Cheers,
Marc