Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:26:20 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <m.apitz@oclcpica.org>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Xmodmap (or .xinitrc?) broken after xorg upgrade

El día Sunday, October 21, 2007 a las 08:38:33PM -0400, Chris Hill escribió:

> About a week ago, I updated my ports, including xorg. Now xmodmap isn't
> running from ~/.xinitrc like it used to.
>
> My .xinitrc is the same as it's been for years, so it includes the lines
> if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
>     xmodmap $usermodmap
> fi
>
> After some experimenting, I find that if I run
> $ xmodmap .Xmodmap
> $ xmodmap .Xmodmap
> ...twice, as shown, in an xterm after X gets going - then my .Xmodmap
> takes effect.
>
> If I comment out that section of ~/.xinitrc, then I only have to run
> $ xmodmap .Xmodmap
> once in an xterm. I would like not to have to run xmodmap manually at
> all, but have .xinitrc take care of it, just as it used to be before the
> upgrade.
>
> Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

I'm facing a similiar problem in Xorg 6.9 and KDE 3.5.4: I tried
to set some xmodmap values in my ~/.xinitrc before launching
the KDE desktop, like:

xmodmap -e "keycode 0x73 =  Mode_switch"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x39 =  n N ntilde Ntilde"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x1a =  e E eacute Eacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x26 =  a A aacute Aacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x1f =  i I iacute Iacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x1e =  u U uacute Uacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x20 =  o O oacute Oacute"
exec startkde

but when X is up the xmodmap's are not in affect. I have to
set them inside X with a small desktop icon.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
e <m.apitz@oclcpica.org> - w http://www.oclcpica.org/ http://www.UnixArea.de/