Date:      Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:36:06 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FTP insall booting from disc not floppies

I want to do a clean (i.e. wipe the disc) install of FreeBSD 5.4
onto a set of remote machines. I have access to the consoles of
these machines, but no access to the media (CD or Floppy).

When you isnall from floppies they bopot a bare minimum system on
a memory disc which then does an FTP install as I understand it ?

So, what I am wondering is if I could put whatever the floppies boot
onto a filesystem, so that when the machine reboots it will do
a floppy-type install, except booting from the hard drive rather
than an actual floppy.

Does this sound plausible ? If so then how would I set about creating
such a filesystem locally (I can then dd it onto the bot partition of
the remote machine).

All advice apperciated as I do not know much about the install process.

-pcf.