Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 16:24:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stuart Anderson <anderson@metrolink.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF Motif

I've just checked with our person working on the product, and the packages
have been finalized. Pending a few Documentaion updates, Motif Complete!
should ship next week. It will contain both a.out & ELF versions of the
packages on the same CD.

I hope this narrows it down more than the RSN answer did 8-).

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Cy Schubert wrote:

> Now that 3.0 has become the -stable branch, I would assume that
> many vendors may port their products to the new binary format.
> I've spoken to a couple of vendors about their Motif products
> migration to ELF.  Both have said soon.  Since I don't have any
> evidence of anything that will prove these promises either way
> (being the skeptical person I am), I would like to determine
> whether I should:
>
> 1.  Wait.
>
> 2.  Replace applications with those that use toolkits other than
> Motif.
>
> 3.  Use 3.0 with a.out binaries.  I would like to still maintain
> the option
>     of recompiling these applications on 3.0 if I have to, rather
> than keep
>     a 2.2 system for that purpose.
>
> I seem to have the impression that some in the inner sanctum of the
> FreeBSD project may have managed to get their hands on a
> pre-release copy of Motif for FreeBSD ELF.  If this is the case,
> one might be able expect that a product will be released by some
> vendor RSN, in which case wait might be the option to take.
>
> Would anyone care to comment on or confirm my assumptions?
>

> Regards,                       Phone:  (250)387-8437
> Cy Schubert                      Fax:  (250)387-5766
> Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
> ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
> Province of BC

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
4711 North Powerline Road                        105 Fox Ridge Run
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.938.0283                              voice: 803.951.3630
fax:   954.938.1982                              SkyTel: 800.405.3401
http://www.metrolink.com/