Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/31265: crontab(1) doesn't decribe format of allow and deny files.

The following reply was made to PR docs/31265; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: 12 Mar 2002 00:54:10 -0800

 "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net> writes:

 > The Right Solution (IMO, of course) is to fix cron to not make what is a
 > rather non-intuitive choice in parsing the files, then document the
 > now-simple one-username-per-line.  Something like (untested):

 Looks OK to me, except that if I were doing it (which I'm not) and I
 could trust the adduser(8) manual about alphanumerics & "_" only (which I
 can't -- see adding_user(8)), then I'd allow for trailing comments by
 adding this statement below yours:    line[strcspn(line, "#")] = '\0';

 > >  Your shell (and my pdksh) seem to
 > >  ignore the empty line so it doesn't show as a blank line.
 >
 > Well, it's not an empty line that would show as a blank line; that would
 > require TWO \n's.  vis:

 It would show as a blank line in SOME software. The more intuitive
 behavior would be to consider a newline character to start a new
 line, even if empty or at the end of the file.  XEmacs, for instance,
 shows it and counts it, considering it to form an empty line at the end
 of the file.  But the shells and "wc" have good reasons for doing it the
 other way, no doubt.