Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:27:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        FREEBSD-CHAT-L <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMP motherboard advice...

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Mike Smith wrote:

> Most of the SMP guys will tell you that a dual P5 is a waste of time.

    As opposed to what?  Dual PPros or PII's?  Those are still on the
pricey side.  What specific disadvantages are there to dual P5's?
Nowhere near 2x performance?  Current motherboards not having enough
L2 cache for 2x200-MHz CPU's?

> If you're planning on playing games on the box, SMP is a waste of
> time.   You want the fastest uniprocessor machine your budget will
> support, the most evil video card you can get, and a BIG MONITOR!

    I'll have the evil video cards and a big monitor, but I also want
to diddle around with FreeBSD-SMP.  ;-)  I figure the addition of a
Voodoo 3D accelerator alone will do wonders for my game playing
experience.  :)
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@netcom.ca)