Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:39:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, crypt0genic <crypt0genic@ecad.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :	Speaking about ethernet performance, doesn't the quality of cable
> :affect it too?  I noticed that there are cables that are 350Mhz and higher
> :over the standard CAT5 100Mhz cables.  Has anyone used the higher
> :frequency cables and gotten any better results?  And generally for CAT5
> :cable, is there a difference in quality between BerkTek and Belden?
>
>     10BaseT is 10BaseT, as long as it is in spec it is not going to perform
>     any better or worse based on the quality of the cable.  So if standard
>     Cat5 cable works for you, getting a higher grade cable is not going
>     to make it work better.  Same with 100BaseT and 1000BaseT.

	Good point but I think it's like how much of 100Mhz a 100BaseTX
can push.  If it pushes 100%, then it might be wise to have a little more
room for overhead.  Kinda like a car, better to have reserve power when
you need it then pushing it to the max.  In regards to 1000BaseT, I
thought there was no standards for that yet, atleast all the Gigabit stuff
is all fiber and not copper.  Quality of cable does matter, atleast in
high-end audio/video it does and I'm sure data would be more picky than
human ears.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]