Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:09:22 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why BIND and sendmail installed by default?

--=-=-=

At 2003-03-12T15:59:03Z, "Jorge Mario G." <list@linopryne.com> writes:

> I've seen that BIND and sendmail (till 4.7-RELEASE havent tested 5.0 yet)
> are installed by default my question is simple... WHY?

Because noone's done the work of removing them.  Volunteering?

> I see this from a end user point of view (mine):
>
> Do I need a my own mailserver???
> - No, we have yahoo.com :-)

So, you're OK with setting your nightly periodic output to be sent through
yahoo.com?  What if you're systems trying to tell you that there's a network
outage, but can't because, well, there's a network outage?
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.

--=-=-=