Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 1997 17:53:04 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: to anyone with the bt848 databook...

 Thomas Arnold <tom@inna.net> fax the needed pages and I think that I
managed to fix the bug which Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>

I thank both Thomas and Randall!!

This is part of Randall's bug report:

----
A few small problems to report with the driver to report (nothing hangs the
system -- just some strange behavior).  BTW this is with the 0.3 driver.
Here are some canned samples to demonstrate what I'm seeing.

1. To reproduce the first one, in the dtv event loop, add:

                    sleep(1);
                    i = METEOR_CAP_STOP_CONT;
                    ioctl(video, METEORCAPTUR, &i);
                    i = METEOR_CAP_CONTINOUS;           /* now cruise */
                    ioctl(video, METEORCAPTUR, &i);

---

What this bug report actually translates to is the lack of a proper error
recovery condition on the driver.

If upon interrupt , the status register (0x100) has bit 12 set , then
restart the capture process.

bit12 is set when a pixel data FIFO overrun condition is being handled by
dropping as many DWORDs as needed, indicating bus access latencies are long.

The bug resolution was simply arrived by printing the status register
at the start of the interrupt routing and comparing a known good run of "dtv"
against a run which "dtv" was having problems with the capture process. In
this case "dtv" was just simply stopping or pausing for a few seconds.

More aggressive testing so I may release another version of the
driver tonite.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio