Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 01:18:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      agc@uts.amdahl.com (Alistair G. Crooks)
To:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de (Thomas Gellekum)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postgres95 for FreeBSD

> > Again, as I said, all we need are whatever diffs or build procedures
> > are necessary to building and *installing* the port and we can do the
> > whole thing as a FreeBSD port.  /usr/ports/databases has only 2
> > entries in it, and it'd sure be nice to have more than that!
>
> Barnacle Wes (wes@intele.net) has a port of postgres (probably
> 4.whatever). He said he got it out of wcarchives incoming; must've
> been before some cleaning action. I have asked him to put it back
> there and notify ports@freebsd.org, but haven't heard of him since.

Postgres95 is derived from Postgres v4r2 - there's an incomplete port
of v4r2 to NetBSD/i386, and a version by (I think) Clarence Chu, who
wouldn't release his sources.  Pg95 is superior to v4r2 - there's now
an SQL monitor (SQL-3, the O-O one) in place of Postquel, lots of bugs
cleaned up, support for dead features/devices removed, and speeded up
(30% better on Wisconsin benchmarks than v4r2).  All in all a nice
piece of work, by two grad students in Berkeley.  And, like I say, it
already works on FreeBSD, and has done for a coupla months now.

I hacked around hugely with ingres89 last year, and sent sources to
many people, as well as putting it up for ftp - I made it use GNU
autoconfig, translated it to ANSI C, and tried to remove all the icky
practices (like very early 4.1c-like socket code, duplicated functions
etc).  Andrew Moore told me it was going to go in some version of
FreeBSD, but then Jordan's telephone conversation from hell happened,
and I never heard anything again.

Apart from that, mSQL works fine, and the author even tests it out on
FreeBSD now and then, so there should be no problem with that one.

Isn't OBST free, or GPL?  Or isn't that considered a database?

I'm sure there are others that I've missed.

Alistair

PS. I'm not making pg95 into a port for FreeBSD - I don't run FreeBSD,
as you've all probably guessed by now.
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                	   +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.