Date:      21 Sep 2000 18:29:40 +0200
From:      Eric Hennequin <hennequi@crm.mot.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, pavlin@catarina.usc.edu
Subject:   IPv6 multicasting, pim6dd, MLD, icmp raw socket

Hello,

Has anyone experience with pim6dd
on FreeBSD 4.1 Release ?

I have tried without success to use MLD (IGMPv6) with pim6dd,
with the following setup :

(host "b" has kernel with MROUTING support compiled in.)

host "f"         ethernet         host "b"
FreeBSD 4.0-------------------random linux with ipv6 enabled.
pim6dd -d                  a udp client doing a IPV6_JOIN_GROUP on FF0E::57

unused ifaces

tcpdump on host "f"
shows the ICMPv6 MLD Membership Report for FF0E::57 .
then the Done when I kill the client.

but pim6dd doesn't show it in it's debug log.

Now if I first run the same udp client on host f,
(ifmcstat show me that the interface on host f
is in the group FF0E::57)

pim6dd gets the report/done from host "b" !

I tried using FreeBSD 4.1 Release on host "f",
or FreeBSD on host "b", playing also with mldquery
with the same results. (was mldquery written
to test this in the first place ?)

pim6dd set correctly the interface to ALLMULTI.
Yet it seems the pim6dd ICMPv6 raw socket doesn't let
the multicast message go through when there is no
member in the group on the host.

May I have misconfigured something ? A sysctl ?

Could it be hardware ? (3COM 3c900-COMBO on host "b")

Is it a know problem ? (Not found in the gnat database,
nor by searching into the mailling list.)

Just curious to know if it was just me who
was unable to set up the thing ;-)

--
Cordialement.